Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 5 - American Backpackers Brandon and Nick

Sunday is the day of rest in Italy. Nothing is open, and I decided I would embrace the custom of doing nothing, and do nothing. I came to the Piazza in the morning and caught up on my e-mails (thanks for the comments on the recent entries!) and just as I was preparing to leave and go back to the apartment, I was approached by two American backpackers looking for a winery with an open tasting room. I explained to them that it is Sunday! and that nothing is open, but better luck next time. I told them about Bustecca down the street with yummy pasta and house wine, and they said, "Let's go!" and offered to treat me to lunch in exchange for my knowledge. Count me in.

Brandon and Nick of Reno, NV, a tattoo artist and cabinet maker respectively, both business owners, were happy to share their traveling experiences with me. Highlights so far included bar hopping in London in between flights and meeting and congregating with travelers from around the world (Poland, Canada, and Egypt) at their hostel in Tavarnelle. They are most looking forward to Oktoberfest in Munich and bathing in hot beer while drinking beer in Austria (apparently you can do that?).

Talking with them made me wish I had the guts to go backpacking through Europe. I've thought about it so many times but there is some little fear in me, I think of being alone in the big bad world. Anyone want to go with me? But seriously, I really want to go backpacking in Europe and sleep in hostel beds and carry my big back pack around and use it as a pillow on overnight trains.

Until then...

3 comments:

  1. Mom says: I would freak out if you ever went backpacking alone. With someone, maybe. It would depend on who it is. Are you too old to need Mom's approval. Back in the day, I never had the guts to even do this with anyone. Personally, I like a comfy bed, air condtioning, and would always worry if the strangers I met were okay. I am so American! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE solo travel! You'd do just fine on your own :) Think of the incredible stories you could tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could certainly travel on my own, but I don't know if I could do the backpacking thing. I like my niceties ;)

    ReplyDelete